Special Educational Needs (SEND)
What is the SEND Local Offer?
Every local authority must publish a Local Offer. The SEND Local Offer tells you what support is available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) and/or disabilities, and their families. It should include information about education, health and care provision. It should also tell you about training, employment and independent living for young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.
You can find the SEND Local Offer for Kent County Council (KCC) at www.kent.gov.uk/education-and-children/special-educational-needs
Who is it for?
The SEND Local Offer is for:
- children and young people with SEN and/or disabilities from birth to 25
- their parents and carers
- practitioners and professionals.
- What is the idea?
The SEND Local Offer should:
- make it easier to find out what you need to know
- give you information about what is available
- tell you where you can get further information.
The SEND Local Offer should also make services more responsive to local needs.
The SEND Code of Practice* says that the Local Offer should:
- provide clear, comprehensive, accessible and up-to-date information about the available provision and how to access it
- make provision more responsive to local needs and aspirations by directly involving disabled children and those with SEN and their parents, and disabled young people and those with SEN, and service providers in its development and review (4.2)
What does it include?
The Local Offer includes information on:
- how children and young peoples’ needs are identified
- how their needs are assessed
- the special educational, health and social care provision for children and young people with SEN or disabilities
- opportunities for training and employment
- support for independent living
- how provision is funded
- leisure activities and support groups
- where you can find more information, advice and support
- arrangements for travel
- the help available to resolve disagreements.
The Local Offer must also tell you about services provided outside your area which local people are likely to use.
Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) is Maggie Pouros, Deputy Headteacher. To contact Mrs Pouros please email the School Office on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01843 861430.